1863-1903



Kolomensky Zavod became one of the main symbols of intensive development of railway transport in the Russian Empire in the second half of the XIX century.

In summer 1863 railway Moscow -Saratov reached the town of Kolomna. A talented Military engineer Amand Egorovitch Struwe won a contract for construction of a bridge across the Oka and for this purpose built temporary workshops on the Oka left bank near the confluence of 2 rivers: the Moskva and the Oka. He rented over 10 dessitinas of area from peasants in Bobrovo village and received a permission for building various buildings including for a factory or a plant. This laid the foundation of one of the largest Russian plants - Kolomensky Zavod.

 

 

Kolomensky Zavod was the first in Russia to start building bridges for railway and city transport. Before that Russia had bought bridges abroad.

Amand Struwe built the first temporary bridge across the Moskva-river for Moscow - Kazan route. After a bridge across the Oka-river had been built in 1863-1864 other bridges followed for regions from Kolomna to Voronezh and from Serpukhov to Kursk and Kiev. The bridge across the Dnepr (1868-1870) was built based on a new principle (with piers of the pneumatic system) and contemporaries called it the largest in Europe as it was a kilometer long. On order of the Moscow State Duma KolomenskyZavod built Borodinsky, Krasnokholmsky, Moskvoretsky and Krimsky bridges in the 60-70-ies of the XIX century. Liteiny bridge across the Neva-river in St. Petersburg built in1879 is still considered to be the most graceful constructions.

Dvortsovy bridge built in 1915 (a large engineering construction) was the last bridge of Kolomensky Zavod.It includes 5 flights and the central one opens rapidly. A lot of attention was paid to its architecture and décor at the stage of design and construction.

 

 

Demand for railway transport was growing with each main line put into operation.In 1865 production of the first freight platforms and later on of railway cars of various types was organized in Kolomna and preparation for production of steam locomotives began.

Locomotive production at Kolomensky Zavod dates back to 1869. It was then that the first freight steam locomotive, one of the first steam locomotives constructed in Russia left the plant.In the pre-revolutionary period Kolomensky Zavod was one of the few locomotive producers in Russia. During this period 139 types of steam locomotives were designed.

 

 

In 1878 the first river-going steam ship Kulebaky was built, later on ships for various applications followed.